Little moments of mindfulness with my dog | Pawprints to Bath: Little moments of mindfulness with my dog

Thursday 26 March 2015

Little moments of mindfulness with my dog


 Although I spend a lot of time talking about all the benefits of all our various dog sport hobbies and trick training, there’s one thing I never talk about enough: quality time with my dog.
It’s easy to sort of forget about spending a bit of time each day focused solely on your dog, but during the past couple of years I’ve really begun to appreciate these little moments of dog-related mindfulness on a whole new level. Now I know we've all got mindfulness blogs, magazines and telly programs coming out our ears at this point, but I'm using it in a slightly more day-to-day sense. See, work and school and just everything these days can sometimes get a bit overwhelming for the best of us. With dogs, however, there's a sense of enjoying the moment as it is.
We all know our time with our beloved dogs is limited, which is why it’s absolutely essential to make the most of it – not just through training but by also developing that bond between you and your pet. This is especially important if you work or study all day, not only for your dog but also for you – we all need a moment to just sit down and concentrate on something completely removed from all the stress and challenges we face during the day. The fantastic thing about dogs is they come with a built-in mindfulness exercise for us people – walkies! Nothing clears a worked up brain better than a bit of a romp in the fresh air, and our dogs make sure this is part of the daily routine, how good is that! During the time spent together out and about, everything you've been working on or worrying about that day seems a little less pressing. Perhaps it's just the way I am, but knowing that every day, no matter what, I'll have this moment of spending some time together with my pooch is really very comforting. What got me thinking about this is that I’ve been asked a few times lately why I’m bringing my dog with me to university, and won’t it be hassle and a strain on my social life. My answer is this: If you’ve never owned a dog, you can’t know the amount of joy it brings. My dog is so much more than just a pet, she’s my best friend, she’s the reason I’ve gone out and taken up new hobbies and met new people, she’s my little personal trainer… And more than anything she puts a smile on my face each and every day. I'm responsible for her well-being, but she's just as responsible for keeping me down-to-earth and happy every day, no matter what. So to those who think I’ll be losing out in keeping her with me, really it’s the complete opposite. :)

Here’s a list of the little things about my dog that make me laugh, smile, and wonder each day: 
  • She shares my morning muesli with me. She doesn’t beg, but once I'm done she'll mosey over and wait to lick the bowl clean.
  • Loves veggies, especially jalapeno peppers. When I was in art school, I would occasionally leave my dinner by the sofa while getting a drink or looking for my phone, and when I returned lo and behold – the veggies had gone. It was always the greens too, never the meaty bits! These days I set some aside specially for her.
  • Protests when I stay up late reading by flopping on my face and licking both me and the book in turn, till I put it away. 
  • Follows me to the bathroom every morning to roll around on the carpet while I brush my teeth.
  • Stares intently at the cupboard I keep her frisbee and tennis ball in, till I eventually oblige to a game. This can go on for hours if I'm working!
  • Pokes the other dog with her nose for attention, then promptly runs off and ignores her. 
  • Really loves round buns, she thinks they’re her toy balls. 
  • Lies flat on her back under my arm while I work during the day, no matter how uncomfortable it may seem, and occasionally peers up at me as if to say “let’s stay like this all day!” 
  • Is terrified of flags for no apparent reason, so whenever we pass the one that’s on our daily walk, I get her to do tricks till we’re at a safe distance again.
  • Trots off for a drink of her own accord between agility laps, like a proper athlete!
  • Watches Heartbeat and Doc Martin with me and mum, and knows to only get up and say hello once the end credits roll.


Pawprints to Bath

No comments:

Post a Comment